Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A friend from church is running the campaign for a local politician, and I've been asked to help. It's got me thinking how much I will actually do to see someone elected. I vote even though I wonder how much good it will do. I'm generally very conservative and hope that the country will move in that direction. So I vote Constitutionalist when I can and Repulican when I don't have that choice. But when it comes to making phone calls and handing out flyers I am at best lukewarm.

You see that biggest problem with this country (U.S.A.) as far as I'm concerned is not a political one but rather a moral problem. I think the biggest mistake that the federal government ever made was to take the Bible out of the public schools. In the interest of fairness and democracy a could understand if the schools were mandated to teach other moral systems than the Judeo-Christian. But I think it is a great disservice to civic life and the laws of this country to ignore the importance of a moral education. I am thus completely opposed to Thomas Jefferson's "wall of separation" between church and state. I want to see more moral leaders in office and much much less of a moral vacuum in our legal system.

-markezuma

3 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger David Schantz said...

It is way past time to invite God back into the public school,the court house and the state house.

God Bless America God Save The Republic.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Michael Linn Jones said...

I think political correctness has gone too far. In fact, PC does not really fit into the American experience...or least unti recently.

Some form of spiritual guidance is necessary for life to flow in the right direction. But, as I noted in a post I did a while back, tobacco, fatty foods, and God are not allowed on school grounds.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I agree that the Bible should definitely brought back into the public schools. I also agree that cultural diversity is a good thing. I respect many different cultures and think the world would be a more peaceful, understanding place if our children were taught to appreciate cultures other than their own.

However, what we teach in our schools is not cultural diversity. They are taught to respect, participate in, and even revere other cultures, but they are not taught about their own. The meaning of democracy is glossed over, while the meaning of communism is talked about repeatedly and respectfully. The most shameful aspects of our own history are reiterated, which I don't have a problem with per se -- our children need to know about the mistakes this country has made -- but our greatest accomplishments are minimized, if mentioned at all.

As I've said many times and will undoubtably say again, here in the United States of American we have the freedom of religion, not the freedom from religion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home