Sunday, July 02, 2006

It's Sunday and I'm not in church again. My children are running around and screaming happily, and my wife is out smoking. To top it off, this is fast and testimony Sunday, and I forgot to fast. Not that I have trouble fasting and praying. I pray all the time and sometimes even remember to fast on purpose. But part of the point of fasting is to create sympathy for people who don't have food. And I know first hand what it's like to go without. For several years I lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and whatever I could steal from work (in various fast food restaurants). This was all before I joined the LDS faith. So now instead of feeling guilty for stealing food I feel guilty that I have food and forget to fast. On the positive side, I've been diligently reading my Book of Mormon this week. I encourage everybody to read it through a least once if for no other reason than to become educated about what's in it. So lately I've been "practicing what I preach." I've read the Bible (cover to cover: twice) and prefer it to the Book of Mormon (which I've only completed once). But I always feel like I'm on solid ground telling people to open up either one since I've "been there and done that." If you've read both I compliment you; if you haven't I can not stress the importance of doing so enough. I've also read the entire Koran in English translation and have successfully encouraged 1 person (my wife) to do the same. But that's brings up a whole different worry. I believe Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that makes me a Mormon. But I also believe Mohammed (peace to him) was a prophet, and I don't know what that makes me. So what're your favorite books, and do they affect how you spend your Sunday mornings?

-markezuma

3 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mark said...

While I probably should be able to honestly say that having read numerous religious texts (I've read the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Koran, the Bagavad Gita, and the Tao Te Ching, amongst others) has affected how I spend my Sunday mornings, I really can't do that. Often times, by my own choice, Sunday is just another day, because I simply do not have the energy to go through all the work it requires to take my family to church. Besides, I don't particularly like being bitten, which seems to be an unavoidable accourance when restraining Ben within the general vicinity of our pew, much to my annoyance.

However, having read these books has affected me in other ways. While I truly believe in the LDS faith (though I'm obviously not so good at living it), I also have a love and respect for most of the major religions through out the world, and many of the less "major." I believe God can and will reach people however they need to be reached, and not everyone needs the same religion. Perhaps, if more people shared in this belief there would be less cause for the spilling of blood in the name of God...which has always seemed rather ironic and hypocritical to me, but that's the world we live in.

As for favorite books... My mind drifts to the worlds of fantasy and romance far too often on Sundays and every other day, which is directly related to the books I read, which are not allows of a religiously enlightening nature.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger David Schantz said...

Mark, I have read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover but I have never finished the Bible. I can't explain how that happened since I was introduced to the Bible first unless it was because I was in some serious trouble when I was introduced to the Book of Mormon. I'd like to think it was made me a little better person even if I can't gat to Church on Sunday because of my job. BTW I start my vacation at 0700 Friday so I'll have some time to do some reading. I can't say that I'll get to Church since we're still waiting for the Grand Daughter to have her baby (I hoped that would happen yesterday) and my wife totaled our car this past Wednesday. Thank God, she, our Grand Daughter and the unborn Great Grand Daughter all came out of it OK, a little sore. Some of my favorite books would be the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I've also read The Art Of War by Sun Tzu several times because of something an old friend that was involved in military intelligence told me.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger David Schantz said...

Do I Have To???,The Bible and the Book of Mormon are more like owner operators manuals than they are like refernce manuals. Shouldn't we read the owner operators manual before driving a new car or using a new appliance?

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home