Monday, July 24, 2006

It is a peculiarity of the LDS faith that many members "know this church is true." Among ex-mormons it is even common to hear that they "know this church is false." I've always felt like the odd man out to such ideas. I must admit that I "know" virtually nothing. What I do know amounts to these three things. 1) I know that there is a God (I fought him and lost)... 2) I know that you my reader are not Him (don't make me prove it)... and 3) I know that I'm not Him either (you'd best be glad of that). Beyond that I have convictions and opinions, but so does everyone else, and I respect that.

My concern has become how I can interact productively with the "true/false" crowd. This as you can see from previous posts goes beyond all things mormon. I simply don't like getting caught up in contradictions. From the wrong perspective anything can start seeming goofy or stupid, and in just the right light the silliest ideas start to make sense. I look at the world and see people blowing themselves up over what they believe is "true," and I don't want any part of that. But at the same time I see people who are motivated to do phenomenal things because of what they "know," and I get a little jealous.

Would the world be an inherently better place if there were more people like me in it? We'd all like to believe that to be the case for at least ourselves. But before I get much higher on a soap box I'd like to be a little more sure that I'm doing more good than harm. Or maybe I'm just worried that I'm not doing any good at all. Any ideas? Thanks...

-markezuma

3 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Frank Staheli said...

I love to read a plethora of blogs and news sites, because although I am firm in my testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true church, I mean no offense to anyone, and I find that I can learn a lot from others, even if I disagree with them.

I found your blog through a comment on another blog that I frequent (and frequently disagree with, but enjoy nonetheless).

You may be interested in any of my blogs, but particularly one called lds-musings.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Joseph's Left One said...

Mark,

That's not a bad approach to take. I wish I could convince myself that, though the church isn't necessarily true, it's a good organization that does good things. Then I might be able to stick with it.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Just one of many said...

...if only the church didn't espouse total truth. Yet, I have found cover-up/deceit at every turn. "HONEST IN ALL YOUR DEALINGS"? LDS church seems to fail this test just in the video and propaganda it generates. I would love to pick and choose but the church doesn't leave much wiggle room!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home