Thursday, November 30, 2006

There is an interesting difference between Christianity and Islam with regard to a person's relationship to God. Christians use the term "children of God" and talk about God as a father. In Islam people are servants or slaves of God, and while the Koran talks about His mercy and compassion it forbids the notion of God having literal children. But a child can be more loving than a servant who should only be more obedient. I think it might be splitting hairs to argue one or the other view, but I'm partial to the notion that I am (as we all are) a child of God and not just His slave. Though I must point out that I don't mean a literal child which would imply the need for a heavenly Mother. I think God transcends gender, and so is a creator as much as a father or mother. Also, I recognize that I am a servant of God and that He demands obedience. It's not one or the other; it's both. I wonder how much of the conflict between Western culture and the Middle East revolves around this simple distinction. It reminds me of the Faith vs. Works arguments that are internal to Christianity (again not one or the other but both). People get so set in the dogma that they are unable to love each other and obey the other principles that come with faith in God. Can the Koran be reconciled to the Christian notion that we are all brothers and sisters because we are God's children? I doubt it very seriously, but with God all things are possible. Can a Christian learn a lesson in service by studying the Koranic principle of Surrender? I would certainly hope that every Christian would be willing though not many are. So there must be some authority that can be called upon to establish a balance and avoid senseless disagreement on small points. That leads me to the notion that what Islam really needs is the modern revelation to separate Surrender from the less pleasant aspects of a slave culture. The Koran and the Bible sometimes disagree. I see the Book of Mormon and a latter day prophet as the solution to that disagreement. But I'm still a long way off from standing up in Sacrament and saying I know this is true.

-markezuma

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger David Schantz said...

I've never managed to get far when I tried reading the Koran. I've read passages that others have pointed out. I should give it another try. I'm sure it would not cause me to convert.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger The Truffle said...

I haven't read the Koran yet. I wonder which translations would be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home