Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Koran Interpreted is divided into two volumes (roughly in half) and I've finished the first volume today. I am as usual deeply moved by its assertion that God is singular and no one and nothing else can compare. I really like the verse that says "If the sea were ink for the Words of my Lord, the sea would be spent before the Words of my Lord are spent, though We brought replenishment the like of it." (Surah 19:109) Though I suspect that most Muslims wouldn't take this to mean that canon is always open, I do. I got very depressed in my early twenties over the notion that God had given us the Bible and left us to fend for ourselves. When I first read the Koran it was not very comforting to find another book with people saying these were God's last words. So the LDS notion that God still speaks to us resonates with me. I need a personal living God not just a pile of old words that talks about God. Jesus said "Why callest though me good? none is good, save one, that is God." (Luke 18:19 KJV) I'm certain that the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon aren't God, which leads me to the conclusion that they aren't perfect. They only try to point to something that is. Sometimes they fail and sometimes people with the best intentions whether Christian, Muslim, or Mormon use the holy books to do unholy things. But reading the Koran is only convincing me more that I need to know what's in it. For all its imperfections I still consider it scripture, and I suspect that I will just have to be content that God alone can judge that idea.

-markezuma

1 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger David Schantz said...

"But reading the Koran is only convincing me more that I need to know what's in it." I admire your desire to continue learning and growing. Anytime I try to read anything bigger than the local paper it takes me about three tries just to get started."I need a personal living God not just a pile of old words that talks about God." God goes to work with me every night, he takes care of anything I can't handle.

I want to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home